Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office
duties and responsibilities
SECTION. 484. Qualifications, Powers and Duties.
(a) No person shall be appointed environment and natural resources officer unless he is a citizen of the Philippines, a resident of the local government unit concerned, of good moral character, a holder of a college degree preferably in environment, forestry, agriculture or any related course from a recognized college or university, and a first grade civil service eligible or its equivalent. He must have acquired experience in environmental and natural resources management, conservation, and utilization, of at least five (5) years in the case of the provincial or city environment and natural resources officer, and three (3) years in the case of the municipal environment and natural resources officer.
The appointment of the environment and natural resources officer is optional for provincial, city, and municipal governments.
(b) The environment and natural resources management officer shall take charge of the office on environment and natural resources and shall:
(1) Formulate measures for the consideration of the sanggunian and provide technical assistance and support to the governor or mayor, as the case may be, in carrying out measures to ensure the delivery of basic services and provision of adequate facilities relative to environment and natural resources services as provided for under Section 17 of this Code;
(2) Develop plans and strategies and upon approval thereof by the governor or mayor, as the case may be, implement the same, particularly those which have to do with environment
and natural resources programs and projects which the governor or mayor is empowered to implement and which the sanggunian is empowered to provide for under this Code;
(3) In addition to the foregoing duties and functions, the environment and natural resources officer shall:
(i) Establish, maintain, protect and preserve communal forests, watersheds, tree parks, mangroves, greenbelts and similar forest projects and commercial forest, like industrial tree farms and agro-forestry projects;
(ii) Provide extension services to beneficiaries of forest development projects and technical, financial and infrastructure assistance;
(iii) Manage and maintain seed banks and produce seedlings for forests and tree parks;
(iv) Provide extension services to beneficiaries of forest development projects and render assistance for natural resources-related conservation and utilization activities consistent with ecological balance;
(v) Promote the small-scale mining and utilization of mineral resources, particularly mining of gold;
(vi) Coordinate with government agencies and non- governmental organizations in the implementation of measures to prevent and control land, air and water pollution with the assistance of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources;
(4) Be in the frontline of the delivery of services concerning the environment and natural resources, particularly in the renewal and rehabilitation of the environment during and in the aftermath of man-made and natural calamities and disasters;
(5) Recommend to the sanggunian and advise the governor or mayor, as the case may be, on all matters relative to the protection, conservation, maximum utilization, application of appropriate technology and other matters related to the environment and natural resources; and
(c) Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
Source: The Local Code of the Philippines
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-32609735-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);